6 March 1900
A list of applicants for allotments was in existence.
13 April 1915
There were between 15 and 20 applicants for allotments. A councillor urged the council to secure one of many vacant plots of land. The difficulty up to now had been that the price of land was prohibitive to rent.
6 July 1915
The lease to the council of land for allotments in the north ward was completed. The houses along Framfield Road and part of Drayton Bridge Road were already built, but Browning Avenue and Dryden Avenue were completely undeveloped. The site was named simply North Ward Allotments. Plots were marked out and fencing was ordered. Notices were issued inviting application for a plot. Thirty-one plots had been let so far.
14 September 1915
All the plots in North Ward Allotments were let.
12 December 1916
The clerk to the council approached Mr Campbell Johnson, owner of the Hanwell Park Estate, about obtaining the piece of ground between the existing allotments and Framfield Road as additional allotments.
9 January 1917
The clerk saw Mr Campbell Johnson about leasing to the council additional land for allotments adjoining existing allotments on the Hanwell Park Estate. The area is 2 acres 3 rods and 6 poles at a rental of £2 per acre for the same terms as the existing allotments. This was for a period of six years from Christmas 1916. The clerk reported this land had been divided into 40 plots of 10 poles each and the whole area was let.
5 February 1918
Permission to keep pigs on the allotments was granted, subject to plans and the particulars of their disposal first. They must be in a clean and proper condition.
25 February 1918
A representative of the Board of Agriculture visited the north part of the district, including the Hanwell Park Estate. If allotments are needed, application is to be made to the Middlesex War Agricultural Committee for more land on Hanwell Park Estate after Churchfields and Spearman’s field (very near Churchfields) has been used first.
11 June 1918
The 117 plots were let at 9 shillings for 10 poles per year. One larger plot was let at 11 shillings and 3d per year and a larger plot still at 13 shillings and 6d per year.
15 October 1918
A letter from the Board of Agriculture extends and varies the Cultivation of Lands Order 1917. They suggested the local authorities where possible negotiate with the owners of land of which possession had been taken for allotments under the Cultivation for Allotment Orders to acquire them and lease them under the Provision of the Small Holdings Allotment Act 1908.
10 February 1920
The estimated cost of carrying through the North Ward Allotments with three stand pipes is £70 and in addition a charge of one shilling per plot per year for water supplied. The committee was not prepared without further investigation to recommend this expenditure. It was deferred until the next meeting.
13 April 1920
There was an annoyance caused by dogs straying on the allotments from the houses in Framfield Road.
26 September 1920
The Allotment Committee of Management was set up under section 29 of the Small Holdings Allotment Act 1908. This consisted of six Hanwell councillors and four representatives (one from each) from the four Allotment Associations. North Hanwell Allotment Society was one of them.
19 September 1922
A letter was written with reference to the renewal of a lease of North Ward Allotments, setting out conditions in which Mr Campbell Johnson required to be inserted into the lease regarding termination of the tenancy.
31 October 1922
Under the Allotment Act 1922, a letter from Mr Campbell Johnson, still the owner of Hanwell Park Estate, stated he intended about next April to start building houses on his vacant land similar in Cowper Road and he wished to cover all the frontages to make roads.
23 January 1923
The Surveyor of the council submitted a plan for the extension of North Ward Allotments, with costs for fencing and paths. He recommended these be let at nine shillings per plot per year.
19 June 1923
The draft rules were approved for the Sir Montagu Sharpe silver cup for the best kept allotments in the district.
26 January 1926
Mr Campbell Johnson was negotiating with the Middlesex County Council for the sale of about 5 acres on Hanwell Park Estate but was not prepared to sell land at present being used by the council as allotments.
28 May 1934
The North Ward Allotments were renamed Framfield Allotments.
One of our current members recalls working on his father’s allotment, playing his part in the Dig for Victory campaign. Back then, no sheds or trees were allowed, the paths ran in straight lines and the grass had to be cut by hand. That was his job – using shears!
3 February 1947
The Middlesex County Council wanted to purchase Framfield permanent allotments for educational purposes. Ealing Council resolved not to sell but to retain them as permanent allotments.
31 March 1947
After a full discussion, recommended in view of the imperative demands of the Education Committee pursuant to the Education Act 1944, Middlesex County Council was informed that Ealing Council would be prepared to accept the alternative site suggested for permanent allotments in exchange for the Framfield site.
15 June 1947
The Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries stated that the Framfield site was particularly suitable for allotments, highly productive and exchange would seriously worsen the allotment position. The Minister, Tom Williams, would not consent to the exchange of the land.
1 July 1947
The Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries is to reconsider the decision as no suitable alternative land is available in North Hanwell for educational uses.
4 December 1950
The Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries sent a circular drawing the council’s attention to the Order of Council 1950. One effect was to keep in being certain defence regulations regarding allotments. The minister expressed the hope that councils would make full use of powers to retain land in use as allotments as they continue to keep up their valuable contributions to food supplies.
15 November 1960
The council refused access to part of the allotments for an access road at the rear of Drayton Bridge Road.
2 October 1961
As only 14 out of the 60 plots on the Drayton Bridge Road temporary allotments were let, they were transferred to Framfield Allotments.
14 September 1964
The council recommended allowing an electricity substation on the allotments.
6 October 1970
The council gave permission for a trading and storage hut on the Framfield Leisure Garden site, as the allotments were known at that time.
A pond was dug for wildlife by the council in a very wet section of the allotments.
15 November 2007
The inaugural Annual General Meeting of the Framfield Allotments Association.
A new water main was laid around the entire site and a new road was built towards the eastern end of the site, creating a ring road for vehicles around the whole site. This work was funded mostly by a grant from the National Lottery.
The pond was enlarged and landscaped by a small team of plot holders.
17 July 2009
The London in Bloom judges visited the site and by 2 October had won third place in the best allotment division for the whole of London.
18 November 2009
All plots were taken and there was a waiting list.
Many thanks to our researcher and author, Dave Blackwell